With the correct care and attention your cashmere garment can give you years of satisfaction. People always know some sort of horror story when it comes to washing knitwear and in particular cashmere, with the dreaded "shrink" being what nightmares are made of. The fear of washing cashmere garments causes many people to avoid the task entirely, when in fact the washing process after purchasing your garment is another important step in ensuring the longevity of your garment. We spoke to expert knitwear manufacturers William Lockie on how they recommend you wash your cashmere.
Knitwear made from the precious and delicate cashmere fibre is luxurious to wear but requires a little more care and attention that other fibres.
You will find that after lavishing a little care and attention on your William Lockie that the garment will actually consolidate and soften in handle and touch. Like fine wine, cashmere will improve with age if cared for properly...and here is how...
- We recommend washing your cashmere gently after it has been worn three or four times.
- Cashmere can be hand washed or dry cleaned. We recommend hand washing, following these few simple guidelines:
- Hand wash in lukewarm water (30 degrees)
- Gently squeeze the suds through the fabric, take care not to rub the garment too much as this may cause shrinkage and increase pilling (little balls that appear with the loose fibres tie up together).
- Rinse the garment in cool clean water, squeezing gently without wringing or twisting.
- A short, light spin in a spin dryer will help remove most of the water.
- Smooth the garment back into its original shape, gently coaxing any trims back to the correct size.
- Dry naturally away from direct heat such as radiators and sunlight.
- Ideally the garment should be dried flat on a clean towel.
- When dry, press lightly with a cool iron (two dots)
- UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD THE GARMENT BE TUMBLE-DRIED
Following these instructions, your garment will preserve its shape and luxurious touch for many years - the hallmarks of the very best cashmere.